Laws and Regulations
- Laws & Regulations Relevant to Current Public Proceedings
- California Code of Regulations
- NEW! Proposed Amendments to the CCR - February 2014
- Laws & Regulations Applicable to Conduct of Meetings and Proceedings
- Water Quality Petitions
- Ex Parte Communications
- Additional Information
Subscribe on-line to our email lists and receive updates on various topics.
Laws and Regulations Relevant to Current Public Proceedings
- California Water Code
The official Water Code on the California Legislative Counsel Website
- California Health & Safety Code
The official Health & Safety Code on the California Legislative Counsel Website, which contains provisions relating to underground storage tanks.
The State Water Board also maintains compilations of various laws relevant to different areas of the water boards’ responsibilities. While every effort is made to ensure these compilations are accurate and up-to-date, you should consult the official version of the California Code or the United States Code if in doubt.
- Statutory Water Rights Laws - effective January 1, 2013
California Water Code (particularly Division 2) and other California Code sections relevant to water rights
- Porter-Cologne Water Quality Control Act - effective January 1, 2014
Excerpts of California Water Code, Division 7 (Water Quality) [PDF of half-sheet version suitable for binding]
- Federal Clean Water Act - Title 33, U.S.C. sections 1251 and following
- Title 40 of the Code of Federal Regulations - Code of Federal Regulations, Title 40 (Protection of the Environment) maintained by the Government Printing Office
California Code of Regulations
- California Code of Regulations
The entire California Code of Regulations maintained by the California Office of Administrative Law (OAL)
- Title 23. Waters
Title 23 (Waters) of the California Code of Regulations on the OAL Website
- Regulations for Implementing the California Environmental Quality Act: Amendments to California Code of Regulations, Title 23, Division 3, Chapter 27 (commencing with section 3720) were adopted by the State Water Board on November 16, 2010, approved by the Office of Administrative Law on January 19, 2011, and are effective on February 18, 2011.
- Title 27. Environmental Protection
Title 27 (Environmental Protection), Division 2, Subdivision 1 (Consolidated Regulations or Treatment, Storage, Processing or Disposal of Solid Waste) of the California Code of Regulations on the OAL Website
- Plans and Policies
Water Quality Control Plans (Basin Plans) and State Policies for Water Quality Control have the legal force and effect of regulation.
The State Water Board also maintains compilations of regulations in different areas of the water boards’ responsibilities. While every effort is made to ensure these compilations are accurate and up-to-date, you should consult the official California Code of Regulations if in doubt.
- Title 23. Waters (Division 3) - Portions Pertaining to Water Rights - effective January 1, 2011
Excerpts of the portions of Title 23 (Waters) of the California Code of Regulations pertaining to water rights laws and proceedings.
- Title 23. Waters (Division 3) - Meeting Regulations
Excerpts of the portions of Title 23 (Waters) of the California Code of Regulations pertaining to meetings before the water boards.
- Title 27. Environmental Protection (Division 2) - Solid Waste
Excerpts of the portions of Title 27 (Environmental Protection) of the California Code of Regulations pertaining to Consolidated Regulations or Treatment, Storage, Processing or Disposal of Solid Waste.
New! CCR - Proposed Amendments - February 2014
- Notice of Proposed Rulemaking - February 2014
- Initial Statement of Reasons - February 2014
- Full Text of Proposed Amendments to California Code of Regulations, Title 23. Waters. Division 3. State Water Resources Control Board. Chapter 6. Rules Governing Review By State Board of Action or Failure to Act By Regional Board - February 2014
- Transmittal Letter to Interested Parties Re: Regulations - March 7, 2014
Laws and Regulations Applicable to the Conduct of Board Meetings and Adjudicative Proceedings
- Bagley-Keene Open Meeting Act - effective January 1, 2011
- Administrative Adjudication Statutes - effective January 1, 2011
- Water Boards' Meeting Regulations - effective January 1, 2008
- Question and Answer Document on Adjudicative Proceedings
Water Quality Petitions
- Water Quality Petitions Web Page
Includes instructions for filing water quality petitions and opportunity to download electronic versions of water quality petitions are now available at the Water Quality Petitions webpage.
Ex Parte Communications
- Ex Parte Communications Questions and Answers
- Ex Parte Communication Disclosure Form for General Orders [Fill-In PDF Form and Instructions, Blank Form for Printing and Instructions]
- Note: This form is for ex parte communications to State Water Board members only. For Regional Water Board communications, please go to the respective board’s website (www.waterboards.ca.gov/waterboards_map.shtml).
- Pending General Orders Subject to Water Code Section 13287 Ex Parte Disclosure Requirements
Below is a list of matters pending before the State Water Board subject to the disclosure requirements of Water Code section 13287. Other pending orders or water quality petitions, not in abeyance, before the State Water Board are subject to the prohibition on ex parte communications.
General Order Scheduled Adoption Meeting 14-Day Ex Parte Prohibition in Effect Industrial Storm Water General Permit N/A N/A Compost General Waste Discharge Requirements N/A N/A Petitions A-2209(a)-(e) (Central Coast Water Board, Conditional Waiver for Irrigated Lands) September 10, 2013 August 27, 2013 Petitions A-2239(a)-(c) (Central Valley Water Board, General Waste Discharge Requirements for Irrigated Agriculture in the East San Joaquin Watershed) N/A N/A
- Incompatible Activities Statement
- Regulated Local Agencies
- Waste Discharge Fee Schedules - Amended California Code of Regulations Title 23