Central Valley Salinity Alternatives for Long-Term Sustainability (CV-SALTS)
Subscribe on-line to our Central Valley Salinity (CV-SALTS), electronic mailing list.
Elevated salinity and nitrates in surface water and groundwater are increasing problems affecting much of California, other western states, and arid regions throughout the world. In California, as surface and groundwater supplies become scarcer, and as wastewater streams become more concentrated, salinity and nitrate impairments are occurring with greater frequency and magnitude.
In 2006, the Central Valley Water Board, the State Water Board, and stakeholders began a joint effort to address salinity and nitrate problems in California’s Central Valley and adopt long-term solutions that will lead to enhanced water quality and economic sustainability. Central Valley Salinity Alternatives for Long-Term Sustainability (CV-SALTS) is a collaborative basin planning effort aimed at developing and implementing a comprehensive salinity and nitrate management program. The goal of CV-SALTS is to maintain a healthy environment and a good quality of life for all Californians by protecting our most essential and vulnerable resource: WATER.
In July 2008, the Central Valley Salinity Coalition (CVSC) was formed. CVSC represents stakeholder groups working with the Board in the CV-SALTS effort. Its purpose is to organize, facilitate and fund efforts needed to fulfill the goals of CV-SALTS. CVSC coordinates the meetings of the CV-SALTS committees, maintains an independent web site, and manages the projects originating from this effort. Information and materials regarding the stakeholder committees and other activity, including the meeting schedule, are posted on their website: www.cvsalinity.org.
Archives of initial CV-SALTS activities and meetings (2006-2008) will be posted on this site until further notice.
- What's New
- Central Valley Salinity Coalition (an independent web site containing information on current CV-SALTS activities)
- Progress Reports
- Annual Reports to State Water Resources Control Board
- Annual Central Valley Water Board Workshops
- Lower San Joaquin River Committee
- San Joaquin River Upstream of Vernalis Salt and Boron Basin Plan Amendment
- Local Salt Management Projects and Industry Efforts
- CV-SALTS Monthly Regional Board/Stakeholder Coordination
- Agricultural Dominated Water Bodies Evaluation (MUN beneficial use)
- Tulare Lakebed Evaluation of Municipal and Domestic Supply in Groundwater
- Laws, Regulations & Policies
- Library (Reports & Programs)
For more information, contact: Jeanne Chilcott at (916) 464-4788 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.