- State & Regional Water Boards
- Decisions Pending and Opportunities for Public Participation
San Diego Region - Clean Water Act Section 305(b) Surface Water Quality Assessment and Section 303(d) List of Water Quality Limited Segments (updated 08-26-16)
The federal Clean Water Act (CWA) requires States to identify and make a list of surface water bodies that are polluted. These water bodies, referred to in law as "water quality limited segments," do not meet water quality standards even after discharges of wastes from point sources have been treated by the minimum required levels of pollution control technology. Wastewater treatment plants, a city's storm drain system, or a boat yard are a few examples of point sources that discharge wastes to surface waters. States are required to compile these water bodies into a list, referred to as the "Clean Water Act Section 303(d) List of Water Quality Limited Segments" (List). States must also prioritize the water bodies on the list and develop Total Maximum Daily Loads (TMDLs) to improve the water quality. For more information on TMDLs, please click here.
The "Water Quality Control Policy for Developing California's Clean Water Act Section 303(d) List" is the policy for the State and Regional Water Boards to follow when developing updates to the List. This policy describes the process by which the State and Regional Water Boards comply with the requirements of the Clean Water Act in developing the List.
Click here for the current Clean Water Act Sections 303(d) List and 305(b) Report and interactive map.
At this time, the State Water Resources Control Board and the San Diego Regional Board are working on updating the CWA Sections 305(b) and 303(d) Report for the San Diego Region (2014), and the status of the update will be shown in the following session:
2014 Water Quality Assessment and 303(d) List Update
- Public Hearing: 9:00 a.m. Wednesday, October 12, 2016
- Public Workshop: 9:30 a.m. Tuesday, July 19, 2016
- Draft CWA Sections 305(b)/305(d) Integrated Report (July 2016)
- Appendix B: Category 5 Waterbody Segments
- Appendix C: Category 4a Waterbody Segments
- Appendix D: Category 4b Waterbody Segments
- Appendix E: Category 4c Waterbody Segments
- Appendix F: Category 3 Waterbody Segments
- Appendix G: Category 2 Waterbody Segments
- Appendix H: Category 1 Waterbody Segments
- Appendix I: Fact Sheets
- Appendix J: Miscellaneous Changes
- Appendix K: Administrative Record
- Written Comments on the draft Integrated Report (received between July 12 and August 12, 2016)
- Center of Biology Comments
- City of Chula Vista Comments
- City of Dana Point Comments
- City of Escondido Commnets
- City of Laguna Beach Comments
- City of San Clemente Comments
- City of Vista & City of Oceanside Comments
- County of San Diego Comments
- Earth Law Center Comments
- National City Comments
- NRG Cabrillo Comments
- Orange County Public Works Comments
- Port of San Diego Comments
- San Diego Coastkeeper Comments
- San Diego County Water Authority Comments
2012 Water Quality Assessment and 303(d) List Update
The State Water Board initiated the solicitation period on January 14, 2010 to request from interested persons data and information regarding water quality conditions in surface waters of California. Information gathered will be used to provide the basis both for assessing overall surface water quality conditions in California and identifying and listing impaired waters that are not meeting water quality standards. The solicitation period was closed on August 30, 2010 and the water quality assessment is currently underway.
- State Water Board Letter Extending Deadline for Public Solicitation
- State Water Board Public Solicitation Letter
- Link to State Board website
If you would like to be on our mailing list for the 2012 List Update, please subscribe to our mailing list. Be sure to select the "Section 303d List" option under Mailing List.
APPROVED 2008-2010 303(D) LIST
The San Diego Water Board adopted the 2008 Clean Water Act Sections 305(b) and 303(d) Integrated Report on Evaluation of Surface Water Quality and Listing of Impaired Water Body Segments for the San Diego Region (2008 Integrated Report) on December 16, 2009. The final 2008 Integrated Report was incorporated into the statewide 2010 Integrated Report that was approved by the State Water Board on August 4, 2010. On November 12, 2010, USEPA approved the 2008-2010 CWA Section 303(d) List that includes listings for the San Diego Region. More information , including the 2010 Integrated Report and interactive map of all assessed waters in California, can be found on the State Water Board webpage.
Clean Water Act Sections 305(b) and 303(d) 2008 Integrated Report for the San Diego Region
- FINAL: Clean Water Act Sections 305(b) and 303(d) 2008 Integrated Report for the San Diego Region (pdf). (2-09-10)
- Appendix A - New and Revised Decisions (pdf)
- Appendix B - Summary of All Decisions for All Waterbodies (pdf)
- Appendix C - Category 2 Water Body Segments
- Appendix D - Category 3 Water Body Segments
- Appendix E - Category 4A Water Body Segments
- Appendix F - Category 4B Water Body Segments
- Appendix G - Category 4C Water Body Segments
- Appendix H - Category 5 Water Body Segments
- Appendix I - Fact Sheets
- Appendix J - Miscellaneous Changes
- Appendix K - References
- Appendix L - Response to Public Comments (pdf)
- Regional Board Presentation - Agenda Item 10 for November 18, 2009 Meeting (11/24/09)
- Public Workshop Presentation October 12, 2009 (10/12/09)
- Revised: Public Hearing and Document Availability for Integrated Report
- Response to Request of Extension of the Public Comment Period by the County of San Diego (9/29/09)
Approved 2006 List of Water Quality Limited Segments
On June 28, 2007 the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency gave final approval to California's 2006 Section 303(d) List of Water Quality Limited Segments. For statewide information on the 2006 List, click here.
The links below provide information on the 2006 List for the San Diego Region.
- 2006 Table of Water Quality Limited Segments for the San Diego Region
- 2006 Fact Sheets Supporting Recommendations for Listing, Delisting, and Area Changes for the San Diego Region.
- GIS Shapefiles for 2006 303(d) List of Water Quality Limited Segments
USEPA has a web page which provides information on current activities associated with the Section 303(d) listing and Section 305(b) assessment processes. The Consolidated Assessment and Listing Methodology (CALM) initiative is currently being developed and addresses identification of impaired waters under Section 303(d) and preparation of water quality assessment reports under Section 305(b) of the Clean Water Act.
USEPA Region IX's web page includes information on monitoring, assessment (including List updates), and TMDL programs for Arizona, California, Hawaii, Nevada, the Pacific Islands subject to U.S. law, and approximately 140 Tribal Nations.