Delta Water Quality - Delta Regional Monitoring Program
Many agencies and groups monitor water quality, water flows, and ecological conditions in the Bay-Delta, but there is no comprehensive contaminants monitoring and assessment program. The Interagency Ecological Program (IEP), CALFED, and other organizations, including the Water Boards, conduct some of these analyses, but due to their specific mandates, information gaps may exist. Emerging concerns with contaminants related to the decline of pelagic organisms in the Delta, wastewater treatment plant discharges, agricultural discharges, pesticides, blue-green algae toxicity, and unknown toxicity events all highlight the need for well-coordinated contaminants monitoring. A system is needed for coordinating among monitoring programs and integrating contaminants monitoring into existing monitoring efforts whereby all data are synthesized and assessed on a regular basis. The Strategic Workplan for Activities in the San Francisco Bay/Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta Estuary, which was adopted by the State Water Board, Central Valley Regional Water Board, and San Francisco Bay Regional Water Board, identifies the development of a comprehensive monitoring program for the Delta as a priority action.
The short-term (1-2 years) goal for this action is to establish a framework for regularly gathering, compiling, assessing, and reporting readily available data currently being collected under Water Board programs and external programs, such as the IEP and the Department of Water Resourcesí Municipal Water Quality Investigations (MWQI) program. The long-term (3-5 years) goal is to develop a Regional Monitoring Program (RMP) for the Delta. Inherent in both the short and long term efforts is the need to develop a framework for coordinating monitoring and assessment efforts in and around the Delta.
- DRAFT Proposal for a Regional Monitoring and Assessment Framework and its Implementation, 718 KB, PDF (PDF Info)
- Comments Received on Draft Proposal for Framework, 3.33 MB*, PDF (PDF Info)
Recent News and Upcoming Events
- Steering Committee Meetings: The steering committee will be tasked with many things including the identification of technical committee(s), the priority management questions, and the monitoring and assessment framework.
Tuesday, June 4, 2013
9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
Location: Central Valley Water Quality Control Board, Training Room, 69KB (PDF Info)
11020 Sun Center Drive, Suite #200, Rancho Cordova, CA 95670
Draft Agenda and Materials, 561 KB, PDF (PDF Info)
- Past Steering Committee Meetings:
- April 30th Meeting Summary, 366 KB, PDF (PDF Info)
- March 27th Meeting Summary, 179 KB, PDF (PDF Info)
- February 27th Meeting Summary, 205 KB, PDF (PDF Info)
- January 23rd Meeting Summary, 199 KB, PDF (PDF Info)
- November 20th Meeting Summary, 162 KB, PDF (PDF Info)
- October 12th Meeting Summary, 228 KB, PDF (PDF Info)
- Now available! The Pulse of the Delta is intended as a “voice” for the fledgling Delta RMP. This second edition includes a keynote article on the benefits of regional monitoring and incudes management updates on the Delta RMP, U.S. EPA’s Bay-Delta Action Plan, and Nutrient Numeric Endpoints for the estuary. This year’s feature articles shine a spotlight on new research that may help wetland managers in the Delta reduce the methylmercury problem and showcase the history and future of the IEP in the context of the historic and future ecosystem. New this year is a status and trends section that highlights the latest monitoring results and tracks lead indicators for water quality and ecosystem health in the Delta.
For additional information, please contact Meghan Sullivan (email@example.com or 916-464-4858)
- 2011 Pulse of the Delta, 13.13 MB*, PDF (PDF Info)
- Draft Program Plan, 556 KB, PDF (PDF Info)
- Summary of Current Water Quality Monitoring Programs in the Delta, 6.21 MB*, PDF (PDF Info)
(Draft Final report prepared by the Aquatic Science Center)
- Contaminants Synthesis Report, 7.19 MB*, PDF (PDF Info)
(Final report prepared by Mike Johnson et al, UC Davis)
- Delta RMP: Developing a Delta Regional Monitoring Program for Contaminants, 5.34 MB*, PDF (PDF Info)
(poster presented at the State of the San Francisco Estuary Conference, 29 September - 1 October 2009)
- Delta RMP: Developing a Delta Regional Monitoring Program for Contaminants, 1.58 MB*, PDF (PDF Info)
(poster presented at the Interagency Ecological Program Annual Workshop, 25 May 2010)
- Fact Sheet Describing the Stakeholder Process, 100 KB, PDF (PDF Info)
Stakeholder Meeting - 15 August 2012
This stakeholder meeting was in response to the comments received on the Draft Proposal for a Regional Monitoring and Assessment Framework that was released to stakeholders in June. The meeting summary highlights the main concerns addressed in the comments and the responses to those comments from the Regional Board, Aquatic Science Center, and Brock Bernstein. Additionally, the meeting began initial discussions about the establishment of a steering committee for the Delta RMP. Future development will be guided by the steering committee.
- Meeting Summary (includes agenda and list of attendees), 66 KB, PDF (PDF Info)
- Meeting Presentation Slides, 2.04 MB*, PDF (PDF Info)
- San Francisco Bay RMP 2012 Multi-year Plan, for discussion purposes, 3.03 MB*, PDF (PDF Info)
NPDES Stakeholder Meeting - 16 November 2011
This stakeholder meeting was in response to the various interviews conducted by Thomas Jabusch (ASC) and Brock Bernstein (consultant) about the monitoring, reporting, and data management programs of specific dischargers, regulated by the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permit program. The issues and opportunities identified (see Discharger Interview Summary) provided a useful starting point for improving the efficiency and effectiveness of monitoring as part of the initial implementation of the Delta RMP.
- Agenda, 13 KB, PDF (PDF Info)
- Meeting Summary, 67 KB, PDF (PDF Info)
- Discharger Interview Summary, 26 KB, PDF (PDF Info)
Stakeholder Meeting - 12 August 2010
- Agenda, 37 KB, PDF (PDF Info)
- Proposal to Develop a California Estuaries Portal Initially Focused on the San Francisco Bay-Delta Estuary, 25 KB, PDF (PDF Info)
- Meeting Summary, 36 KB, PDF (PDF Info)
- Interagency Ecological Program for the San Francisco Estuary, A. Mueller-Solger, 1.76 MB*, PDF (PDF Info)
- The Bay RMP: Lessons Learned in Two Decades, R. Hoenicke, 53 KB, PDF (PDF Info)
- An Overview of CEDEN, K. Larsen
- Maximizing the Effectiveness of Water Quality Data Collection and Dissemination, J. Marshack, 1.81 MB*, PDF (PDF Info)
Stakeholder Meeting - 12 May 2010
This stakeholder meeting was intended to re-engage stakeholders, begin implementation of the Regional Monitoring Program through a pilot project phase, and initiate technical work to address limitations with current monitoring and data management systems. This meeting began with presentations in the morning providing overviews of the work completed to date, the draft program strategy, Current Water Quality Monitoring Programs and the Lessons Learned from the POD Synthesis Analysis. A facilitated discussion followed in the afternoon (Please see the meeting summary for details).
- Sign-in Sheet, 302 KB, PDF (PDF Info)
- Agenda, 14 KB, PDF (PDF Info)
- Meeting Summary, 56 KB, PDF (PDF Info)
- Overview of Draft RMP Plan and Overall Strategy, M. Sullivan Presentation, 260 KB, PDF (PDF Info)
- Summary of Existing Monitoring in the Delta, Overview of the Central Valley Watershed Monitoring Directory, T. Jabusch Presentation, 1.84 MB*, PDF (PDF Info)
- Lessons Learned from the POD Synthesis Analysis, M. Johnson Presentation, 196 KB, PDF (PDF Info)
Stakeholder Kick-off Meeting - 30 September 2008
Recognizing that stakeholder involvement and coordination will be critical to the success of the Delta RMP planning effort, Central Valley Regional Water Board staff scheduled a stakeholder kick-off meeting on 30 September 2008. During the initial session of the meeting, staff provided an overview of the impetus for the Delta RMP planning effort, elements of a successful RMP, existing delta monitoring programs, existing regional monitoring program models (e.g., San Francisco Bay RMP), and a facilitated discussion regarding potential constraints that may impede development of the RMP and potential benefits that could be realized should the RMP be successfully implemented. The second session consisted of a summary and further discussion of the key issues (as identified during the first session) that will need to be resolved as the RMP planning effort proceeds forward.
- Sign-in Sheet, 103 KB, PDF(PDF Info)
- Meeting Summary, 122 KB, PDF(PDF Info)
- Invitation Letter, Distribution List, and Agenda, 87 KB, PDF (PDF Info)
Stakeholder Working Groups
One outcome of the stakeholder kick-off meeting was the formation of stakeholder working groups to assist the Water Boards in addressing the following aspects of the RMP framework: governance, monitoring questions, coordination with other programs, data integration, and funding. In an effort to facilitate this process, the project planning team (comprised of Water Boards and Aquatic Science Center staff, and Dr. Brock Bernstein) will prepare straw-man proposals for each of these issues, which will be provided to the working groups and other interested parties for review and comment.
- Working Group Meeting - 20 November 2008
- Meeting Summary, 30 KB, PDF(PDF Info)
- Meeting Materials - Draft Governance Straw-man Proposal, 113 KB, PDF(PDF Info)
- Revised Governance Straw-man Proposal (26 November 2008), 209 KB, PDF(PDF Info)
- Draft Funding Straw-man Proposal (23 November 2009), 228 KB, PDF(PDF Info)
- Draft Data Integration Straw-man Proposal (20 November 2009), 219 KB, PDF(PDF Info)
- Working Group Meeting – 12 August 2010
- Meeting Summary, 36 KB, PDF(PDF Info)
- Meeting Materials: Data Workgroup Background Information, 26 KB, PDF(PDF Info)
Coordination with Other Programs