Central Coast Region – Basin Plan
The Water Quality Control Plan for the Central Coastal Region (Basin Plan) is the Board's master water quality control planning document. It designates beneficial uses and water quality objectives for waters of the State, including surface waters and groundwater. It also includes programs of implementation to achieve water quality objectives.
Note about the 2011 Basin Plan edition
Basin Plan Amendments Approved and in Effect since June 2011:
- Resolution No. R3-2012-0002. Total Maximum Daily Loads for Fecal Indicator Bacteria in the Santa Maria River Watershed. Effective date 2/21/13.
- Resolution No. R3-2010-0017. Total Maximum Daily Load for Fecal Coliform in the Lower Salinas River Watershed. Effective date 12/20/11.
Basin Plan Amendments not yet in Effect
Basin Plan amendments do not become effective until sequentially approved by the Regional Water Board, the State Water Board, and the California Office of Administrative Law. Amendments containing new or revised water quality standards also require the approval of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.
Basin Plan Amendments Approved by the Central Coast Regional Water Board:
- Resolution No. R3-2013-0005. Amending the Water Quality Control Plan regarding Onsite Wastewater System Implementation Program. Approved 5/30/13.
- Resolution No. R3-2013-0008. Total Maximum Daily Loads for Nitrogen Compounds and Orthophosphate in the Lower Salinas River Watershed. Approved 3/14/13.
- Resolution No. R3-2013-0013. Total Maximum Daily Loads for Nitrogen Compounds and Orthophosphate in the Lower Santa Maria River Watershed. Approved 5/30/13.
The California Water Code and the Clean Water Act and require Basin Plans to be reviewed and updated periodically (at a minimum every three years). The most recent Triennial Review occurred in July 2009.
Go to the Central Coast Basin Plan Triennial Review Process page.
Information Tools and Links
- Basin Plan Information Tools
Glossary | Acronyms
- Basin Plan Links
California Code of Regulations (CCR) | California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) guidelines | California Water Code | Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) | Federal Clean Water Act (CWA) | Office of Administrative Law | Porter-Cologne | Water Quality Protection Program for Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary | Central Coast Regional TMDL Projects